|USS Amphitrite at Boston Navy Yard|
By Jane Feehan (Use search box at right to find more "Florida History")
Greek mythology deemed Amphitrite a sea goddess and consort to Poseidon. In the 1930s, Fort Lauderdale embraced former warship USS Amphitrite as a floating hotel and restaurant.
Decommissioned in 1919, the 262-foot-long Amphitrite was purchased by A.L.D. Buckstein who converted it into a hotel berthed at Beaufort, South Carolina. Ownership and location of the iron-hulled ship changed over two decades and included dockage and operations near Dunbar Road in Palm Beach (1927). Two years later, the Miami city council rejected a proposal to host the ship. Amphitrite found another home at Fort Lauderdale’s Port Everglades in January, 1931. The vessel was moved near the Casino - now near the location of the International Swimming Hall of Fame.
Moses, James. “The Amphitrite,” Broward Legacy, Vol. 1, October, 1976.
Palm Beach Daily News, Jan. 31, 1927
Miami News, Dec. 13, 1929
Photo from http://www.wikipedia.org
Tags: Florida history, Fort Lauderdale history, tourism history, Fort Lauderdale hotels, floating hotel