Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Rossini's NYC - Cutting corners cuts business - Fuhgeddaboudit


Rossini’s Restaurant
108 E 38th Street
New York City 10016
212-683-0135
Lunch and dinner

By Jane Feehan

Open since 1978, Rossini’s has drawn Madison Avenue execs and minions seeking quality service,  comfortable, sophisticated surroundings, and long ago, good food. One who used to patronize Rossini’s suggested I stop by, recalling his good ol’ days there. He suggested I try their lobster.

Those who say you can’t go home again must have had Rossini’s in mind. I knew I was in trouble when lobster wasn't listed on the menu and tilapia was the fish of the day. That’s one fish I won’t eat. It’s farmed, full of hormones, antibiotics and void of good omega 3s. Cheap. (See: http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA400472/Avoid-Tilapia.html)  I settled on swordfish. It was so old -- mealy and mushy and covered in sauce -- I could barely down the second forkful. Then I asked for a half order of spaghetti and was sorely disappointed. Overcooked and swimming in olive oil. Fuhgeddaboudit.

Even the wine was lousy - their "private" label. The cabernet sauvignon tasted the same as their pinot noir. That cheap. There were no other wines by the glass. The service was excellent except for the snotty captain who ran through a litany of specials looking at his watch or behind him to goggle at the people straggling in.

To the restaurant’s credit, they reduced my bill by about a third without me saying anything. They knew how bad the fish was. No, this is one place I won’t return to. Seems the competition in the Murray Hill area is forcing Rossini’s to cut corners.





Tags: Italian restaurants in New York City, Italian restaurants in Murray Hill, Madison Avenue restaurants